Powered by Blogger.
Powered By Blogger

Pages

Two in One

FIGHTING out of the blue corner. He is bruiser and an enforcer. Standing 6 foot 5 and weighing around 240 pounds. He’s from Caloocan City by way of Los Angeles, California. He is a champion. JAAASOOON “JUMBOO” ESSSSSCUEEETAAAAA.

Let us take a look closer into the finale of the college basketball career of Ateneo Blue Eagles’ graduating rookie, Jason Escueta.

Fighting out of the blue corner, number 16 Jason Escueta
(Fabilioh.com)
Jason, fondly called by his team mates as “Jumbo”, is in his last playing year for the Ateneo Blue Eagles. He is a Junior at the Ateneo, studying Interdisciplinary Studies and majoring in Communications and Psychology.  Despite being only a junior in school, he used up his eligibility playing for the Ateneo because he was already 24 years old at present. The cut off for the eligibility is 5 playing years  and 25 years old. He is a member of the Universirty Athletics Association of the Philippines three-peat champion, the Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles. He also helped the Blue Eagles win their second  title for a back-to-back championships in the Philippine Collegiate Champions League.  Not bad for a rookie, winning 2 championships in a year.

Frank Golla (FG) : First of all, Jason, how did you get the nickname “Jumbo” ?
Jason Escueta (JE) : Jobe (Nkemakolam) gave it/christened it to me when he first saw me. So from then on, I was known as Jumbo. Actually, if you take a look at my brother, if you compare us both side by side, I look more like a Bench model compared to him.  (Laughs)

FG: Onto the more serious questions. We all know this was your first and last season (Season 73), can you share your experience playing for the Blue and White?
JE: It was great! It was stressful yet fulfilling at the same time. I had a wonderful time with the coaches and the players and the whole community.

FG: How did you prepare for your rookie season? Mentally and physically?
JE: Mentally, I was not really prepared for what I was about to find out, that I had only one year to play. But thankfully, the coaching staff and my teammates were there to support  me. Physically, we trained for much of the summer in the US to give us a much needed edge considering the other UAAP teams are getting better talent-wise.

FG: With you mentioning that, how did the guys treat you? And vise versa. Were they easy to deal with, etc?
JE:  The guys treated me very well. Even though I was older than them, I had to treat them as my seniors because they were in the team before I was. But even though things are like that, no one stepped into each other’s boundaries amd still respected each other enough to get through every day.

FG:  Coming two years from the Team B, how was the competition different from Team B from A?
JE: The competition in Team B was much different than the ones in Team A. In the UAAP, you’ll play against players that are chosen, not just landed a roster spot, meaning the talent is just so much better upto the last guy sitting on the bench.

FG: Were you suprised that you’ll only be playing one year for the Blue and White? What were your initial reaction learning this?
JE: I was surprised because the original plan was to sit out 2 years and play 2 years. But winning this year’s championship, I guess it wasn’t that bad after all. I feel like my time is done and its time for other players on the team to show the community what they can do for the school.

FG: How did you end up playing for the Ateneo Blue Eagles?
JE: Walk in. Kasi marami na talent Ateneo. Nagbabakasakali lang.  Well it was not a sure thing when I went back home. I knew there were a lot of competition from the locals and other Fil-Ams that are trying to play here in the Philippines. I was a walk in tryout just hoping to get in the school first they try to work my way up into a roster spot. Luckily they accepted me and the rest is history.

FG: What’s next for Jason Escueta?
JE: I have to ask advice from everyone important to me ( Family, Coaches, Relatives, Friends, etc.) It’s not an easy jump from the amateur to pro, so i should weigh  out my options first.

FG:  If there is any, what is the greatest lessoned you’ve learned playing for the blue eagles?
JE: Talent can only get you far enough, but team work will eventually get you where you want to be.

Three guys and a lady: Jessica, Justin, Frank and Jason
(Fabilioh.com)
Here are some fun facts about our old rookie.

Favorite food? Anything Chinese.
Single/Taken? I have a girlfriendJ
Qualities looking for in a girl? I’m not really sure. I just know when i saw herJ
Favorite subject? English.
Best friend in the team? Justin Chua.
Hardest match-up? Reil Cervantes of FEU.
Favorite thing that happened in season 73? Winning the UAAP Championship.
Hatest thing that happened in season 73? Knowing I was done with my college careerL

Jason having fun before a game.
(Fabilioh.com)


Jason and Ryan shaking it with the beats before game time.
(Fabilioh.com)
Definitely Two is better than none. Well our hat’s off to you sir! You’ve made us proud! Thank you for everything! Surely you will not be forgotten!  One Big Fight to you Jumbo! 

Frank 

comment 1 comments:

Anonymous said...

His boyhood name is Jek-jek from Caloocan. True, his older bro Pomping is like a bloated Bolado

Post a Comment

 
© 2010 Kahit Ano Lang Naman. is proudly powered by Blogger