Powered by Blogger.
Powered By Blogger

Pages

The Art That Is Basketball

People always laugh at me when I tell them I know almost nothing about basketball when they find out my boyfriend is a basketball player. It's not that I'm not supportive of him, and believe me, when you're affiliated with a family that is fueled by basketball you WILL be supportive.Haha. I really try to understand the sport.

So hoping to know more, I watched a game last week for the JIG ( Jesuit Invitational Games) and as I was sitting there waiting for the earlier game to finish I observed the players' faces and reactions and I found it rather amusing. The way they handle the ball, the determined looks, especially the cheers from the bench when their teammate scores. It was like a nudge in my head that told me maybe I should pay more attention to the sport.

When it was our team's turn to play I told myself that I would try harder to understand it this time around. As the game progressed I still didn't get it BUT I had an epiphany of sorts that basketball isn't just a sport, it's also an art in it's own right. The body language, facial expressions, their plays, even the way they fall has a certain 'grace' to it. It's hilarious how my brain likened these six foot somethings on the court to ballerinas of all people. Like ballerinas, basketball players also started with nothing but potential. It is through years of hard work and sacrifice that this potential can then blossom into talent they show during their games for all to see.

If the ballerinas have their synchronized dancing, choreography, practiced calm on their faces and graceful twirling to amaze the audience, the basketball players have teamwork, cunning plays, determined game faces, and muscle to drive the crowd wild in their seats or homes.

It takes a lot of sweat, tears, and scars if you want to be one of these guys. So the next time you see an athlete (all of them, really) you should give them some credit for enduring the tough path they have chosen in their respective fields.

Just... don't picture them as ballerinas.


Izella

comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2010 Kahit Ano Lang Naman. is proudly powered by Blogger